Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Chegg Data Breach notification (Thanks to HIBP)

From: Blake M Bourgeois <bbour53 () LSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 16:15:24 +0000

For what it is worth, we saw the data in the breach being leveraged as early as May 2018 and were able to finally
confirm that the large number of account compromises then were a result of this breach.

As such, we had already reset a large number of accounts that were confirmed to be compromised last year. So, you may
want to look back if you had any mass compromises/resets from that time period and see if they sync up with the
accounts in HIBP.

Blake Bourgeois, GCED
Security Analyst 2, IT Security and Policy
Information Technology Services
Louisiana State University
Office 225-578-1218
bbour53 () lsu edu<mailto:bbour53 () lsu edu>