Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: How do you handle "indirect" data breaches from "Have I Been Pwned"

From: "Hillhouse, Bob (Bob)" <0000010ac8b8c023-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 13:46:54 +0000

Jim,

We have attempted to be “helpful” in the past by informing our constituents of a breach. It generated questions about
how “we” protect their information even though the disclosure had nothing to do with our institution beyond the use of
their institutional email address as a username. There was also a degree of panic (which isn’t ALL bad). Communicating
WHY an institutional department is contacting them about their fitness, or bank, or whatever is challenging; helping
them understand the connection is challenging.

We always make it clear that we’re informing them as a public service and use it as a chance to create awareness in
regards to their “digital double”; that online form of themselves that lives on the interweb. We also find that a lot
of folks forget that they had even signed up or used their @edu address.

Should we notify them? Carefully, IMHO.

--
Bob Hillhouse, CISSP