Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Policy in the Age of NGFW

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 13:31:39 +0000

* Do you use a default deny for your trusted network to the Internet?
        -No
        * If no, and you allow anything out, why did you make that choice, and how has this been working for you?
        - We have a policies that blocks blacklisted IPs, certain URLs, Wins, MSRPC, DHCP, Malware, TOR, BitTorrent,
Proxies, (Non-Enterprise) VPNs and other malicious or should not be on the internet traffic. Then we allow end user
devices to the Internet. With so many potential applications that one type of devices uses (such as Apple everything
and game consoles), we didn't have the resources to get that granular. Servers are a different story.
* Have you converted your entire FW rule base to application aware rules, or are you using a mix?
-Most are. We did have challenges with streaming content from Inside to the Internet. So those are old fashioned Port
based policies.
* Are you using the PA feature, where it can automatically allow applications that PA deems low risk?
-Nope. Thanks. I just learned something new.

SSL decryption takes some getting used to. Once you decrypt, you now see the app within the tunnel and have to allow it
too.

Good luck!
Ron

Ronald King