Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question for IT departments using LastPass

From: Greg Williams <gwillia5 () UCCS EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 14:25:28 +0000

We have used LastPass for the past 5 years for those in OIT who need access to many >100 passwords.  We have around 100
folders and around 15 groups.  We don’t use AD sync or federated access, but use MFA along with some other security
policies.  Even though there is not a hierarchical access infrastructure, groups work well.  For example, the podium
computers folders are accessed by our academic support group and the administrator, and that’s it.  The one advantage
that you have with groups/folders vs. hierarchical access is speed.  The more passwords you have in your vault, the
longer it takes to load or search (still only a couple of seconds however).  Another advantage is that you are only
giving password access to those that need access to those passwords and not a hierarchy.

Greg Williams, ME
Director of Operations
Office of Information Technology
University of Colorado Colorado Springs