Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

.musx Finale music files flagged by O365 ATP

From: "Jim A. Bole" <jbole () STEVENSON EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 17:05:38 +0000

I'm curious if others have seen this issue and if so, how they handled it.

Since migrating to O365, with ATP, we are seeing Finale music files (.musx ) blocked by ATP. It looks like it is
because ATP is detecting .jar files within the file.

However, this looks like a false positive. The file format does include "META-INF" as a subfolder, which is also used
by .jar. But there are no actual .jar files within .musx.

Here's a good thread on what we're seeing:

https://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=489818

Jim Bole
Director of Information Security
Stevenson University
1525 Greenspring Valley Road
Stevenson, MD, 21153-0641
jbole () stevenson edu | O: 443-334-2696