Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: GLBA: How are you handling it?

From: Jarret Cummings <jcummings () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 22:03:15 +0000

Thanks, Mark, for flagging FSA's FAQ on this, which appears to have been posted a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure why
Department of Education (ED) and/or FSA reps. didn't communicate with us about his in advance, but the good news is
that the FAQ specifically excludes the example Joey's service provider identified from what FSA considers a reportable
incident:

We recently heard in an FSA conference session that we can no longer accept faxed or emailed copies of taxes or tax
transcripts. Is this the case? Are we permitted to accept such documents via a student's school email account?

A data breach could be created if a student or parent sends PII or SPII via unsecure means, which would allow PII or
SPII to be accessible by individuals who do not have a need to know... However, at this time, this type of data breach
does not need to be reported as an institutional data breach to FSA.

That said, the FAQ reintroduces a number of points of concern that we had previously addressed with FSA, such as the
concept of reporting "suspected" data breaches. We have reached out to ED about revisiting these problems and will
report back once we have more information to share. - Jarret

Jarret S. Cummings
Senior Advisor, Policy and Government Relations

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good