Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Job Posting - Assistant Vice President and CISO at Miami University (Ohio)

From: "Seidl, David" <seidlda () MIAMIOH EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 14:10:08 -0400

Folks -

I'm losing my ISO for one of the good reasons to lose an ISO - his wife got
her dream job...in another state. Thus, we're looking for a new Assistant
Vice President for Security, Compliance, and Risk Management and CISO at
Miami University.

As many of you know, I'm a former ISO, so here's my "if I was selling this
to myself" sales pitch.

First, the institution:

Miami is an outstanding undergraduate focused institution. We're one of the
top public institutions in Ohio (and a top rated institution nationwide),
and are located in Oxford - a gorgeous, classic small college town that
happens to only be a commute friendly distance from larger towns as well as
Cincinnati and Dayton Ohio. It's the sort of historic red brick and ivy
campus that people fall in love with, and as a recent transplant myself,
there's a wonderful sense of community and caring here. Our common greeting
and the chorus of our fight song is "Love and Honor" and once you're here,
you'll realize how much people take that to heart.

What about the job?

The CISO partners with and advises a broad range of campus partners
including our University's senior leadership. That means we're looking for
someone who can switch hats from operational responsibilities to strategic
advisor, all while building strong connections and trust with our
community. The ability to guide individuals and organizations through
assessing and appropriately responding to risks and better understanding
security is a big part of the day-to-day role. As an AVP, the ISO is a
direct report to the CIO (me), and is a key part of and peer member in our
central IT leadership team.

The good news is that Miami has a really talented security team with strong
organizational buy-in from across campus and throughout our IT
organizations, including a great partnership with our general counsel. Our
team is  small (3 core staff plus the ISO, as well as dotted line security
engineers), but they're a very capable team that performs a range of
security roles on campus ranging from security awareness to security
operations, vulnerability management, security consulting, policy writing
and strategy.

You can read more about the position (and apply!) at:
http://jobs.miamioh.edu/cw/en-us/job/495440/assistant-vice-president-for-security-compliance-and-risk-management-and-chief-information-security-officer

If you have questions about the role, our departing ISO Joe Bazeley would
be glad to give you his view of the role - you can reach him at
bazeleje () miamioh edu. I'm also happy to answer questions as well!

Love and Honor,

David

--
David Seidl
Vice President for Information Technology and CIO