Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SECURITY] Benign samples for testing AV vendors

From: "Bridges, Robert A." <0000008d8011d045-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 14:51:39 +0000

All, thanks for your suggestions! We’ll look into those resources, especially Eicar!

@John McCabe<mailto:john.mccabe01 () MANHATTAN EDU>, I think your insight is really interesting—I’m not a SOC operator,
but false positives seem to be a recurring Achilles’ heel for them. Appreciate your warnings about  use
download.com<http://download.com>, cnet.com<http://cnet.com>, sourceforge, etc.
Likely we’ll scrape some files from on-network computers.

v/r,
bb

Robert A. Bridges, PhD, Cyber Security Research Mathematician, Oak Ridge National Laboratory