Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: [SECURITY] Transport rule to put a header on external email

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 18:25:33 +0000

Our path is almost exactly the same.  We've settled on just [External] in the subject line after trying a few other
variations.  We've enabled the rule for approximately 600 pilot users so far, and plan to enable the rule campus-wide
soon.  We've had very positive feedback since settling on just the subject line insertion.

We're also whitelisting some highly trusted domains.  Unfortunately one of them is no-reply[at]sharepointonline[dot]com
which we have since seen as a phishing attack vector from compromised accounts in other tenants.  We're working with
Microsoft to find a way to identify (and possibly filter) SharePoint notifications as internal vs. external to our
tenant but haven't had much luck so far.

FWIW, we are also piloting data loss prevention rules with the same pilot group to prevent unencrypted transmission of
highly sensitivity data.  That is also going fairly well though it hits on some false positives.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Gregg
Associate Vice President of Information Security & Risk Management, CISO
Information Technology Services (ITS)
csgregg () stthomas edu<mailto:csgregg () stthomas edu>
p 1 (651) 962-6265
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu<https://www.stthomas.edu>