Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Turning off IMAP

From: John Jennings <000000525e064cf3-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 20:25:48 +0000

We blocked IMAP/POP/SMTP at the edge after monitoring usage for a couple of weeks and notifying users. As a result, we
have seen hits against our O365 domain drop by over 10K per month.

We still have some internal app service accounts communicating using these protocols and are working with the vendors
to modify them. In the interim we have ensured they have very complex, lengthy, and rotating passwords.

John Jennings, CISSP
Vice President/Acting CIO
10455 Pomerado Road, M-13
San Diego, CA 92131
Direct: (720)480-5913
Email: jjennings () alliant edu<mailto:jjennings () alliant edu>