Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Brute force credentials protection

From: Dexter Caldwell <dexter.caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 16:13:47 +0000

The article makes valid points, we've been ok with using the threshold though with something less than 15 attempts.
Yes, it does require users to learn how to change passwords.  This is a repercussion of single-signon.  But keep in
mind, the pain is also relative to your password expiry and even complexity settings, so my advice is that we should
use password policy tools with the right mix to our advantage rather than excluding any options from the toolbag by
policy.