Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Standard operations question

From: Jared Evans <jared.evans () GALLAUDET EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 10:21:24 -0500

I have a system ownership question and am curious as to what
policy/guidelines most of you follow with this scenario:

A department has gone with a service provided by an external party and has
a support contract with them.  This support service necessitates a VPN
account along with an user account (along with appropriate access control
placed upon it).  While we have created and filed the documentation for
this account, who is ultimately responsible for this account going
forward?

The system owner of the service who has set the justification for the
existence of the account or the datacenter team which maintains our
accounts?

--

Jared Evans
Information Security Officer