Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Advice testing IDS products

From: "Bridges, Robert A." <0000008d8011d045-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:47:57 +0000

Thanks.
bb

Robert A. Bridges, PhD, Cyber Security Research Mathematician, Oak Ridge National Laboratory

From: The EDUCAUSE Security Community Group Listserv <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> on behalf of Tuukka Vainio
<tuukka () UTU FI>
Date: Monday, February 18, 2019 at 12:21 PM
To: "SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU" <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Advice testing IDS products

I did not simulate any attacks. I would rely more on professional 3rd party testing (à la ICSA Labs) than do that
myself, and then see how they fare in a real environment where not everything is an attack, just to see if the
solutions find stuff only when set to paranoid settings that aren’t usable with real workloads.

--
Tuukka Vainio
University of Turku