Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: incident response tracking software

From: "Beyer, Justin R" <JBEYER () WCUPA EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 18:50:20 +0000

Hi Bryan,
I've had good experience with Request Tracker (RT) with/without the Incident Response Module add in (RTIR) from Best
Practical Solutions. It's FOSS and is a pretty basic email based ticketing system that lives off of Linux and Perl. You
can do some fun automation with it but you will need to Script-Kiddie some Perl at a minimum. They also just added a
REST module to give it an API but I haven't played with it too much.
I will say, though, that RTIR can be somewhat overkill if you use it the right way when it comes to small incidents,
like a single account compromise that leads to spam email being sent or a single endpoint with malicious activity,
since you end up creating an Incident Report, an Incident, at least one investigation, and at least one countermeasure.

I also played a bit with Hive but ended up not really seeing too much benefit since we didn't want to move our data
directly into it especially since we were happy with our current Log Management/SIEM solution.

Thanks,
Justin

RT Link:
https://bestpractical.com/request-tracker/