Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wifi Calling and e911

From: Julian Y Koh <kohster () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 14:24:51 +0000

On Dec 20, 2018, at 08:20, Pardonek, Jim <jpardonek () LUC EDU<mailto:jpardonek () LUC EDU>> wrote:

Our network manager brought this to me this morning.  Seems that wifi calling is getting more pervasive on our network
which raises the concern with being able to locate someone in trouble if they are using wifi calling.  Do any of you
have policies or notices or feel the need for them to set up a disclaimer if someone calls 911 and cannot be located?

Carrier-based Wi-Fi calling has its own set of disclaimers and warnings surrounding 911 and location limitations
distributed by the carriers themselves.  We haven’t really inserted ourselves as an institution into that since
functionally from a user perspective we’re just the transport in that situation.

Now, when it comes to 911 calls coming from our own phone system and originating from soft clients on our Wi-Fi (or
wired) networks, that’s a different story.  A ton of work is going into making sure that we are reporting the best
location information we can in those situations to the PSAPs that are answering those calls.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2020 Ridge Avenue #331
Evanston, IL 60208
+1-847-467-5780
Northwestern IT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>