Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RoboCall Scam

From: Nicklaus Giacobe <nxg13 () IST PSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 22:32:17 +0000

This is common now on the east coast.  We originally saw this from the consulate general phone number you mentioned,
but now we see the calls from a variety of numbers.  I personally get these once or twice a week on my office and cell
phones The targets are people who are Chinese, as the message is only in Chinese, and the calltaker you get (when you
press 1) also only responds in Chinese. The scam goes that caller is told there is something wrong with their visa and
they have to pay money to get it fixed. I’ve heard of asks in the thousands of dollars…. All a scam of course.  They
drive on the fear that these folks have about their immigration status.  Even those in current status are convinced to
fork over cash.

It’d be worthwhile to share with your offices that manage international students and Chinese student groups to get the
word out about the scam.

---
Nicklaus A. Giacobe, Ph.D.
Director of Undergraduate Programs and Assistant Teaching Professor
Phone: 814-865-8233
College of Information Sciences and Technology
Penn State University
E333 Westgate Building
University Park, PA 16802