Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC Update - October 2018: New Resources, Events, & Security List Reminders

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 23:21:07 +0000

Happy Friday! Please take a few minutes to check out the latest higher ed security and privacy resources created by
your peers.

NOTE: This message also offers some friendly reminders about participation guidelines and the open nature of the
Security Discussion list.

Highlights

  *   Proposal submissions for the 2019 Security Professionals
Conference<https://events.educause.edu/security-professionals-conference/2019> are due November 12.
  *   V2.00 of the HECVAT<https://www.educause.edu/hecvat> and HECVAT Lite are now available to download! The latest
version includes major changes to the tool: two new reports and the addition of PCI CSS to the standards crosswalk.
  *   EDUCAUSE, REN-ISAC, and the National Student Clearinghouse published a white paper on cybersecurity for campus
registrars and enrollment
managers<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2018/10/why-cybersecurity-matters-and-what-registrars-enrollment-managers-and-higher-education-should-do>.

Security Matters Blog Posts

  *   Embedding Security in the Academy<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/10/embedding-security-in-the-academy> by
Helen Patton
  *   Share Your Program Management and Leadership Approaches at the 2019 Security
Conference<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/10/share-your-program-management-and-leadership-approaches-at-the-2019-security-conference>
 by Brad Judy
  *   Where Does Your Institution Store—and How Does It Secure—Student
Data?<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/10/where-does-your-institution-store-and-how-does-it-secure-student-data> by
Valerie Vogel

Recent & Upcoming Events

  *   October 11: Campus-Wide Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) Saturation Campaign at Utah Valley
University<https://events.educause.edu/educause-live/webinars/2018/campus-wide-two-factor-authentication-2fa-saturation-campaign>
 [Listen to the EDUCAUSE Live! webinar recording or review the slides and transcript.]
  *   November 19 (1-2 pm ET): GDPR + 6 Months: What We Know Now, What We Wish We Had Known
Then<https://events.educause.edu/educause-live/webinars/2018/gdpr-6-months-what-we-know-now-what-we-wish-we-had-known-then>
 [EDUCAUSE Live! webinar; registration available]
  *   May 13-15, 2019: Security Professionals Conference in Chicago, IL [CFP open now; registration available in late
January]

Security Discussion Group Participation Reminders

  *   This list is public; anyone is welcome to subscribe.
  *   Archives are publicly available and searchable.
  *   Posts to this list may be aggregated by other sites such as http://seclists.org/.
  *   Replies will automatically go to the entire list. If you intend to respond directly to an individual on the list,
please be sure to check the “To:” line before sending your message.
  *   For more sensitive questions or sharing of information, consider using the REN-ISAC<https://www.ren-isac.net/>
list if you are a member.
  *   Visit the Security Discussion Group website<https://www.educause.edu/discuss/security-discussion-group> to manage
your list subscription, access archived messages, or review the participation guidelines.

Follow Us & Stay Informed

  *   LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/higher-education-information-security-council-heisc-/>
  *   Twitter<https://twitter.com/HEISCouncil>
  *   Pinterest<https://www.pinterest.com/heiscouncil/>
  *   YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/SecurityVideoContest>
  *   Security Matters blog column<http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters> in EDUCAUSE Review

If you have any questions about existing resources or challenges you’d like to share, we’re ready to help and look
forward to hearing from you!

Thank you,
Valerie

Valerie Vogel
Interim Director, Cybersecurity Program

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
direct: 202.331.5374 | Follow HEISC on
LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/higher-education-information-security-council-heisc-/> | twitter:
@HEISCouncil | vvogel () educause edu<mailto:vvogel () educause edu>

October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month!
Join EDUCAUSE and the higher ed community as a NCSAM Champion. Follow #CyberAware for tips & resources.