Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

National Cybersecurity Awareness Month 2018 is HERE!

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 15:10:57 +0000

National Cybersecurity Awareness Month 2018 has officially started. Please help us raise awareness on campus as we
observe the 15th anniversary of NCSAM this October!

Hopefully your college or university is one of 150+ institutions formally supporting #CyberAware Month this year. (If
you haven’t signed up as a NCSAM Champion, it’s not too late!)

Here are a few NCSAM 2018 highlights. If your campus is hosting any awareness events or activities, we’d love to hear
more! Don’t forget to visit the EDUCAUSE Security Awareness Campaigns
website<https://www.educause.edu/securityawareness> for resources and toolkits.

Week 1 (October 1-5): Make Your Home a Haven for Online Safety

  *   Monday, October 1: Download and share the new white paper from EDUCAUSE, REN-ISAC, and National Student
Clearinghouse – Why Cybersecurity Matters to Registrars, Enrollment Managers, and Higher
Education<https://studentclearinghouse.org/nscblog/where-is-your-student-data-stored-and-how-is-it-being-secured/>.
  *   Thursday, October 4 (3-4 pm EDT): Use #ChatSTC to join the @StaySafeOnline Twitter chat discussion, Make Your
Home a Haven for Online Safety.

Week 2 (October 8-12): Millions of Rewarding Jobs: Educating for a Career in Cybersecurity

  *   Thursday, October 11 (1-2 pm EDT): Join us for a free EDUCAUSE Live! webinar, Campus-Wide Two-Factor
Authentication (2FA) Saturation
Campaign<https://events.educause.edu/educause-live/webinars/2018/campus-wide-two-factor-authentication-2fa-saturation-campaign>
 with guest speaker Robert Jorgensen from Utah Valley University. (Read more about The Adoption of MFA in Higher
Ed<https://staysafeonline.org/blog/adoption-mfa-higher-education/> in this blog post by Nick Lewis at Internet2.)
  *   Thursday, October 11 (3-4 pm EDT): Use #ChatSTC to join the @StaySafeOnline Twitter chat discussion, Educating
for a Career in Cybersecurity.

Week 3 (October 15-19): It’s Everyone’s Job to Ensure Online Safety at Work

  *   Monday, October 15 – Thursday, October 18: If you’ll be in Orlando for Internet2’s Tech
Exchange<https://meetings.internet2.edu/2018-technology-exchange/>, check out the Information Security and Trust &
Identity tracks.
  *   Thursday, October 18 (3-4 pm EDT): Use #ChatSTC to join the @StaySafeOnline Twitter chat discussion,
Cybersecurity in the Workplace Is Everyone’s Business.

Week 4 (October 22-26): Safeguarding the Nation’s Critical Infrastructure

  *   Thursday, October 25 (3-4 pm EDT): Use #ChatSTC to join the @StaySafeOnline Twitter chat discussion, Safeguarding
the Nation’s Critical Infrastructure.

Week 5 (October 29-31)

  *   Tuesday, October 30 – Friday, November 2: If you’ll be in Denver for EDUCAUSE
2018<https://events.educause.edu/annual-conference>, don’t miss the sessions on information security, privacy, and
risk. You can also talk with Cybersecurity Program staff & HEISC members during our meet and mingle on security and
privacy.

Thank you,

Sandy Silk and Eric Weakland

HEISC Awareness & Training Working Group Co-Chairs