Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft MFA and Authentication FOBs

From: Andreas Paulisch <apaulisch () BROCKU CA>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 14:54:06 +0000

We are using Microsoft MFA. The preferred method is a smart phone.. For folks who don't have one, or refuse to play
nice, we used OATH tokens for some applications.
OATH tokens can't be used for all our MFA setups. For example, we use MFA to secure RD Gateway connections. MFA wedges
itself into the RADIUS authentication stream between the RD Gateway and the RADIUS server. Long story short, cell
phones work great, because the phone itself is the user interface. OATH tokens don't work, because there is no place in
the entire process for users to enter their PIN from the token, so oath tokens can't participate. You could fall back
on the "phone call to a registered number" method, but we didn't like that. It just wasn't a flexible enough solution..
We made cell phones mandatory.

Any application the used ADFS and MFS works great.