Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Spam Callers using "911" Caller ID

From: "Williams, Matthew" <mwill186 () KENT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 18:59:22 +0000

I don't know if any of you have seen this yet, but 0we have been experiencing the caller ID spoofing with a twist
recently.  We've had several calls coming in to our campus users from "911".  Naturally, this seems like a phone call
that you'd want to answer because of the source.  Once our users answer the phone, the callers begin social engineering
them, trying to pry information about the user and the campus.  I just thought I'd share this with everyone in the
event that you've seen it or to warn you that you might.  To combat this we have been informing our users that if the
911 Call Center ever makes an outbound call, it comes in as a standard 10-digit telephone number and that they should
refrain from answering calls with the caller ID of "911".

Respectfully,

Matthew Williams
Manager, Network & Telecommunications Services
Kent State University
330-672-7246