Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: GDPR - DPO Role

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 13:53:00 +0000

I'd be curious to hear what others are doing as well, and if there is a difference between universities of different
sizes and/or their EU footprint.

The advice at the recent EDUCAUSE SPC session on GDPR was that most US universities don't really need an official DPO.
For those that do, the DPO should be a person who doesn't have operational responsibilities that could be a conflict of
interest, and answers directly to the board.  We don't have anyone like that at our institution.  We were initially
thinking we needed a DPO, and that it would be me (by default more than anything).  We're of a similar size and
structure as you at Loyola.  We don't have a campus privacy officer, and we have a very small in house legal office
that tries to stay in a strictly advisory role.

Our latest thinking is that we don't need an officially designated DPO, but my office (InfoSec) will be the ones that
monitor a shared privacy mailbox and process any GDPR related requests that come in.  This is all fluid at this point
as we prepare for late May and track the various developing interpretations.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Gregg
Associate Vice President of Information Security & Risk Management, CISO
Information Technology Services (ITS)
csgregg () stthomas edu<mailto:csgregg () stthomas edu>
p 1 (651) 962-6265
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu<https://www.stthomas.edu>