Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Reporting Cyber Risk to Board of Directors

From: "STURGIS, JOHN" <JSTURGIS () MAILBOX SC EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 17:55:05 +0000

Good afternoon, everyone!

The folks over at Cyentia Institute<https://www.cyentia.com/> are gathering info for their second edition of the Cyber
Balance Sheet report (last year’s is available
here<https://cyentia.com/wp-content/uploads/Cyber-Balance-Sheet-Report-2017.pdf>), and I’m sure they would greatly
value the input from higher ed security professionals.

Key points:

  *   Final report is available to all for free,
  *   The writers are some of the minds behind the Verizon DBIR,
  *   In my opinion, higher ed is underreported in this domain, much to our detriment.

The research questions they intend to answer (taken from their call for participation
here<https://cyentia.com/2018/01/16/call-participation-2018-cyber-balance-sheet/>):

  1.  What information is typically reported to the board? How is it formatted, contextualized, and presented?
  2.  What information is viewed most favorably by Boards and other corporate executives? Can any be shown to increase
trust?
  3.  Do reported metrics and/or Board responses to them vary across different types of organizations and board members?
  4.  If so, can a set of guidelines be created such that Board-level reporting is optimized for the organization and
audience?

If you’re willing to contribute your time and knowledge, you can access the survey
here<https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4254658/cyber-balance-sheet>.

Thanks for your time, and have a great day!

John P. Sturgis - Security Program Consultant

University Information Security Office
University of South Carolina
sturgis () sc edu<mailto:sturgis () sc edu>