Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: A "default stance" question for my esteemed Educause colleagues....

From: Minh Nguyen <mtnguyen () UCDAVIS EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:26:00 +0000

Michael -

My office is a Windows 7/10 environment.  We have all laptops and desktops encrypted with Bitlocker.   For those
machines that are AD joined, the recovery key is automatically stored in Active Directory.   For the most part,
Bitlocker has worked very well for us.   However, there have been a few occasions where Bitlocker locked up the machine
for trivial things (like changing the connection for the monitor).    In those cases, we just pull the recovery key
from AD and enter it in.   We may occasionally un-Bitlocker a computer and re-Bitlocker it.

Minh

Minh T. Nguyen, MBA, CISSP
Graduate Studies - Director of Information Technology
University of California, Davis
Voice: (530) 454-7647