Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC Quarterly Update, June 2018

From: "Corn, Michael" <mcorn () UCSD EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 15:05:45 +0000

Dear colleagues,

Here are the latest HEISC resources and upcoming events, which we hope you’ll find useful.

What’s New?

  *   Budget Conscious Information Security
Resources<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2018/3/budget-conscious-information-security-resources> (3 separate
reports)

  *   DIY Information Security Peer Assessment
Toolkit<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2018/5/diy-information-security-peer-review-assessment-toolkit>

  *   7 Things You Should Know About
GDPR<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2018/5/7-things-you-should-know-about-gdpr>

  *   The Value and Limits of Cyber
Insurance<https://er.educause.edu/articles/2018/4/the-value-and-limits-of-cyber-insurance>

  *   Securing Your Reality: Addressing Security and Privacy in Virtual and Augmented Reality
Applications<https://er.educause.edu/articles/2018/5/securing-your-reality-addressing-security-and-privacy-in-virtual-and-augmented-reality-applications>

  *   3 recent Security Matters guest blogs:

     *   How Can We Trust?<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/5/how-can-we-trust> by Ashwin J. Mathew

     *   Highlights from the 2018 Security Professionals
Conference<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/5/highlights-from-the-2018-security-professionals-conference> by Brian
Kelly & Jacqueline Pitter

     *   Crafting an Information Security Program
Strategy<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/5/crafting-an-information-security-program-strategy> by Cathy Bates & Jon
Young

     *   All for One and One for All: EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and REN-ISAC’s Swashbuckling Adventures at
SPC<https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2018/6/all-for-one-and-one-for-all-educause-internet2-and-renisacs-swashbuckling-adventures-at-spc>
 by Joanna Grama

HECVAT Update

  *   Over 40 institutions are listed as HECVAT (Higher Education Cloud Vendor Assessment Tool) users on our website:
https://www.educause.edu/hecvat. If your campus is using this tool and you’d like to include your institution’s name,
please complete this brief online form<https://goo.gl/forms/BJlson23HVDMy1Q63>. This list demonstrates adoption of the
tool in higher ed, and provides references in case you’d like to contact a peer with HECVAT questions.

Upcoming Events

  *   June 14: Understanding Cyber Insurance (registration available now)

  *   August 21 (12-4:30 pm ET): Encore! Selections from the EDUCAUSE Security Professionals Conference
2018<https://events.educause.edu/webinar/2018/encore-selections-from-the-educause-security-professionals-conference-2018>
 (registration available now; program coming soon)

As always, we look forward to hearing from you about any unique challenges you’re facing or potential resources you’d
like to see us tackle this year. We are ready to help!

Thank you,

Sharon Pitt and Mike Corn

Co-Chairs, Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC)

www.educause.edu/security<https://www.educause.edu/security>

Michael Corn | Chief Information Security Officer
mcorn () ucsd edu
University of California San Diego | ITS - Information Technology Services
10280 N. Torrey Pines Road, Suite 255 | La Jolla CA 92093 MC 0928
cybersecurity.ucsd.edu | esr.ucsd.edu