Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email and cloud services

From: Patrick McElhinney <patrick.mcelhinney () NEWCASTLE EDU AU>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 23:53:22 +0000

This is the same approach that we are using.  There is a logical limit to the size of an SPF record which led us to
implementing multiple SPF records for various subdomains based on the services being implemented.  This site is a great
resource for planning and checking your own SPF records - https://dmarcian.com/spf-survey

You need to be careful about the distinction between trusting email from a given service\IP, and the use of SPF to
detect spoofing activities.  You should avoid trusting email, even from domains under your own controls, given the
volume of phishing activities constantly at play.  Even if an email passes SPF, you still need to ensure that other
controls are in place to detect otherwise malicious emails.

Cheers,  Patrick