Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [ITSM] VDI for Administrative/Academic Staff desktop/laptops?

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 13:12:32 -0500

Ronald,
  We use Full VDI for our student computer labs, and use virtualized
applications for some of the business critical applications, and I wanted
to take a moment to explain how we addressed these concerns using Citrix
XenApp/XenDesktop (or whatever they're calling it these days).

We have a VMWare cluster that runs multiple virtual servers for each of the
pools that we have, spread across multiple physical hosts. This improves
the fault tolerance.

We have, as I mentioned above, different pools that run different
applications, on different virtual servers. This way sensitive data never
"touches" the virtual servers that the students use for their computer lab
work. The question comes down to how many pools you need, and how you want
to segment work-spaces. In fact, we believe that this improves our data
security, as the data that is being processed never leaves the servers, and
never really "touches" the end-user desktops/laptops (It is displayed, but
not stored)

When it comes to network segmentation, we use Machine Creation Services to
spin up new machines as needed, and MCS can be told which virtual network
to create the machines in.

We've been very happy with our solution

Frank

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Ronald King <ronald.king () morgan edu>