Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Training or lab environments for cybersecurity programs at institutions

From: Rob Milman <rob.milman () SAIT CA>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 17:09:23 +0000

Hi Rhonda,

We have a new information security program that started in September. The labs were an interesting part of the
development.

Fortunately, they consulted with Information Services to design the labs. What is came down to was a separate rack in
the lab, air gapped from our network. The rack contains all the network equipment and servers needed by the program.
Student are required to place all their electronic equipment in trays at the front of the lab and use only the
workstations provided to them. For wireless, we also have a Faraday cage to keep all the bad stuff inside and to
provide a clean environment for the students inside. It’s worked pretty well for the first semester, I keep track with
the faculty to see if they have run into any problems. We’ll see if the students manage to break anything on the second
year. Of course, everything is wiped and reimaged after every semester, including switches, routers, firewalls, servers
and workstations.

We also have conducted criminal record checks on each student prior to admission as a matter of principle.

Regards,

Rob

[cid:image004.png@01D18F19.9217E950]

Rob Milman
Associate Director, Information Security
Information Systems

Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
EH Crandell Building, GA 214
1301 – 16 Avenue NW, Calgary AB, T2M 0L4

(Office) 403.774.5401  (Cell) 403.606.3173
rob.milman () sait ca<mailto:rob.milman () sait ca>