Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Info Sec at Small Colleges

From: Robert Smith <Robert.Smith () UCOP EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 22:57:09 +0000

Hello small colleges,

A few other low/no cost resources.

Also, several large schools, us included, make some useful resources available too.  You, with attribution, are welcome
to use these materials:
https://security.ucop.edu/resources/security-awareness/index.html

https://security.ucop.edu/resources/factsheets.html

For state schools, MS-ISAC is also valuable.   If you have  a medical/nursing school or student health clinic of some
sort, NH-ISAC is extremely valuable. Last, some states, ours does, also have SOCs that can support you.  Even though we
are not small, we work closely with our state SOC and that is a very valuable resource and relationship.  Ours also has
forensic capabilities too.

Also for state/local schools, FedVTE has great courses that are free for qualifying .gov and .edu users.
(https://niccs.us-cert.gov/training/federal-virtual-training-environment-fedvte)

Using the HECVAT and leveraging the larger schools pushing this is also free.
https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/10/higher-education-cloud-vendor-assessment-tool

Last, don't forget to sign up for dorkbot - also free.  https://security.utexas.edu/dorkbot

Have an awesome day,

Robert Smith, CISSP, PMP
University of California Office of the President
(510) 587-6244 (o)
(510) 541-8103 (m)
robert.smith () ucop edu<mailto:robert.smith () ucop edu>