Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: We're number one! (Is that a good thing?)

From: JT Ash <jtash () HAWAII EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 09:00:14 -1000

Hi Michael,

                Thank you for bringing this topic up and allowing me to share my thoughts…. I’m HOPING that Security is
always #1, because that’s where IT should always begin/end… Even though Information Security has been around for years,
the “profession” has been evolving to keep up with the pace of business!!!  Until Security is integrated in everything
BUSINESS (not IT) does, from business processes, workflows, classification/categorization of information, big data,
predtictive analytics, project management, Infrastructure design, configuration management, portfolio management,
software design & development, we’re ALWAYS going to try and “bolt” on Security after the fact…

                The day that Security is NOT #1, we’ve arrived because we’re fully integrated in every BUSINESS (I
didn’t say IT) process…. Thank you again for letting me share my thoughts!

Aloha,

James T. (JT) Ash
HIPAA Compliance Officer
University of Hawaii - System