Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Detecting phishing messages

From: Keith Hartranft <kkh288 () LEHIGH EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 10:02:06 -0500

Yes Erik,

We use a methodology like this and have for some time (2+ years) but using
the GMail Content Compliance Filters to Quarantine such messages. We use
"key phrases" more than "key words" although key words are in the set you
mention. We have over 150 "phrase based" CC filters used and reviewed, 14
domain filters we have found highly effective, and a large number other
varied filters for Job Scam, Wire-Transfer, and Malware we have utilized
rather effectively.

We filter on average 5000 to 7000 messages a month into quarantine that
would have hit GMail boxes. We actively report all hyperlinks to Google SB,
Phishtank, Our own DNSBL, and or AV is needed to more effectively protect
our and a broader community. We also notify compromised sender reps on
their compromised accounts. This has led to reduction of less than 1
account per month being compromised via phishing the past 6 months of
measure. "False positives" are rather small (maybe a dozen per week) and
mostly mine as "reporting emails" get stuck in the Q.

In addition to the words you mention attackers also like to use - web-mail,
quota, "outlook web" (we are not an Outlook school), "protected document",
"very urgent", "email user", "irregular activity", "unusual activity" (also
in many legit messages like verify), and "kindly update". I have a whole
set of CC "kindly rules" that are phrases unique with "kindly".

I've pasted a sample of the rules below .... just 10 of the latest added
phrases. I'm happy to discuss and share further but would rather in a more
closed forum.

And yes ........... sending any replies now with this email will go through
Quarantine. LOL!

Thanks,

Keith

Matches
:
""All staffs and students are expected to migrate""
Matches
:
""increase your mailbox size""
Matches
:
""Remote Webmail Service""
Matches
:
""Click below link to upgrade""
Matches
:
""we limit and suspend your email account""
Matches
:
""information on your email account seems missing or incorrect""
Matches
:
""Thank you for your early cooperation""
Matches
:
""to verify your mail and view incoming message""
Matches
:
""You have to Sign On to read document""
Matches
:
""Quota Has Exceeded The Set Quota""