Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password strength

From: Taylor Randle <TRandle () PARKER EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 18:21:57 +0000

+1 for HaveIBeenPwned. They also have an API that you can use to compare passwords to their lists when users are
resetting/creating their passwords for example.
https://www.troyhunt.com/introducing-306-million-freely-downloadable-pwned-passwords/

Thycotic has a free tool that will check your AD accounts against a (relatively small) list of weak passwords and
create a nice report that you can use as well as a more actionable spreadsheet. It doesn’t expose the passwords
themselves, just compares the hashes in AD to the hashes in the dictionary. It then classifies the accounts
(administrative, etc.) and indicates the accounts with weak passwords, LM hashes, reversible encryption, passwords set
to never expire, etc. I’ve used the default password list and added some University-specific passwords but I see no
reason why you couldn’t replace the default with a better one if you had it – although it would likely increase the run
time by a good bit

More Info: https://thycotic.force.com/support/s/weak-password-finder
User Guide: https://updates.thycotic.net/freetools/WeakPasswordFinder_UserGuide.pdf
Download: https://thycotic.com/solutions/free-it-tools/weak-password-finder/

Thycotic also has some other free tools that I have found useful – including the Browser-stored Password Discovery
tool. Again, it doesn’t expose passwords, just indicates the machines with browser-stored passwords and the
accounts/websites they’re associated with. Potentially useful for determining who needs a bit more security awareness
training.

https://thycotic.com/solutions/free-it-tools/

We’ve also been using Thycotic’s Secret Server for some time with great results (we’ve upgraded from the Free version
to Professional but the free version is plenty robust). I’ve recently been able to get buy in to require all domain
admin and system admin-level accounts be stored in Secret Server – which uses 2FA, rotates the passwords regularly, has
launchers for RDP, SSH, etc. so passwords no longer have to be remembered, and provides an audit trail for the use of
these accounts.

</Thycotic plug>

Feel free to reach out if anyone has any questions.

Thanks!
Taylor