Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Awareness Training Tool(s)

From: "Cavender, Terry" <terry.l.cavender () VANDERBILT EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 12:55:00 +0000

We implemented SANS' security awareness training modules.

-          Which training program are you using?  All of their security awareness modules.
-          Are there additional modules available such as PCI training? HIPAA? FERPA? Etc.  Yes
-          Is it/can it be integrated with a Learning Management System?  Unsure.
-          Do you think it provides great value to the userbase you support?  Going through all the modules myself at
the moment...so far pretty pleased.
-          Are you considering switching to something else? Why?
-          Anything else you'd like to share (e.g. Do you have regular events promoting awareness? Phishing campaigns?
Etc.)  We write articles and have them published in our internal communications.

Best,
_________________________
Terry Cavender CISA, PMP, CCSA, ACE (Palo Alto) | Security Operations | Information Technology | Vanderbilt University
Oak Leaf Society Ambassador | terry.cavender () vanderbilt edu<mailto:terry.cavender () vanderbilt edu> | phone
615.343.3494 | I do.  Not Try.  Do.
Did you know? VUIT offers help, training, discounts and more at it.vanderbilt.edu<http://it.vanderbilt.edu/>
[Screen shot 2013-06-25 at 7.31.46 AM.png]

With it being National Cyber Security Awareness Month, this inquiry I've been sitting on seems particularly relevant:

We presently have some training tools for general security awareness, PCI training, and HIPAA training in our primary
LMS and have been contemplating moving to a different platform (the tools, not the LMS). I'm curious to know what
platforms/tools other institutions are using and whether or not they think it provides great value.

Specifically, I guess I'd like to know:

-          Which training program are you using?
-          Are there additional modules available such as PCI training? HIPAA? FERPA? Etc.
-          Is it/can it be integrated with a Learning Management System?
-          Do you think it provides great value to the userbase you support?
-          Are you considering switching to something else? Why?
-          Anything else you'd like to share (e.g. Do you have regular events promoting awareness? Phishing campaigns?
Etc.)

Please feel free to contact me off list.

Thank you!

Brian R. Martinez
Information Security
Michigan State University