Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: *EXT* [SECURITY] research data

From: Velislav K Pavlov <VelislavPavlov () FERRIS EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 17:31:44 +0000

Risk assessment including data identification, classification, mapping to assure the confidentiality, integrity, and
availability of data at rest and in transit it addressed. Following the 18 identifiers guidance OR through "expert"
determination (Privacy Officer and "expert") as defined here
https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/special-topics/de-identification/index.html. You have to map what
PHI and ePHI looks like for your environment. We created profiles of the type of e/PHI data for each HIPAA Covered
Component.

We leverage our DLP for data discovery, classification, analysis, notification, and to quarantine specified
files/folders. Patterns are patterns, this is where contextual identification helps; matching the what (content) with
who, when, where, etc. Match for a patient record in the EMR system and user X from the Health Center is more likely to
be a match than a detection of patient record from the Marketing department and hence has a different impact and
priority assignment. For the redacting, we use the DLP tool to help us move data and leave a place holder. Most of the
scrubbing is still manual especially if it's within a proprietary database or data format.

Vel Pavlov | Coordinator, IT Security
M.Sc. ISM, CISSP, C|HFI, C|EH, C)PTE,
Security+, CNA, MPCS, ITILv3F, A+