Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Requests for data

From: Ken Connelly <ken.connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 09:38:38 -0600

I don't know that it's written in IT policy, but we'll comply to the
best of our ability to a subpoena.  If the subpoena states exigent
circumstances, we'll comply without informing the target.  Otherwise,
we'll follow FERPA and tell the student (if it is a student) about the
request before providing the information to law enforcement.  In
reality, I don't recall a subpoena that wasn't for an active
investigation and exigent.

- ken