Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HECVAT Security Assessment Question

From: Mark Dieterich <mkd () BROWN EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 18:20:15 -0400

Davidson College is adopting HECVAT/HECVAT Lite for vendor assessments.

At Brown, we are trying to move towards adopting HECVAT/HECVAT Lite for all vendor assessments as well. So far, we
haven’t run into the IBM scenario yet and we had our first instance of a vendor (Workfront) who had already seen it and
turned it around almost instantly, thanks for whomever forged the way for us!

Being end of fiscal year, we’ve had a large number of cloud/SaaS software purchase requests from departments

If I could derail this conversation slightly, I’d be really interested in learning what your staffing to support vendor
assessments looks like. We seem to be continuously trying to play catch up with assessments and it’s taking way more
time than the cycles we have allotted. A vast majority of our time seems to be tied up in chasing down information and
getting people to actually respond! Although in some cases, wading through the reams of documentation from a vendor can
take significant time as well. At present, our team of two part time people (very part time on paper for at least one
of these anyways) seems to be consistently trying to do contract reviews and security assessments on just North of 20
contracts concurrently. I’m trying to figure out if we are just hugely inefficient, we are attempting to be too
detailed in our reviews, or we are truly understaffed. Are we the only ones in this situation? Anyone have a better
model?

Mark