Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: EU's GDPR - is anyone worrying/doing anything?

From: David Stack <dstack () UWSA EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 18:50:17 +0000

We had a phone call with Gartner Analyst Matt Stamper a couple weeks ago regarding GDPR and GLBA. We are going to be
audited for GLBA compliance next year and I was looking to see what kind of overlap might be possible in the compliance
efforts.

His main advice was to implement an IT Risk Management Solution to aid in the automated tracking of compliance and
controls for all sorts of frameworks simultaneously.

This was not what I wanted to hear because GDPR is coming up in May 2018 and it could take me that long to do an RFP
and acquire a software application.

Gartner sent me their Magic Quadrant of ratings for IT Risk Management solutions. I can’t share that with the group,
but I see that RSA will send you a copy if you give them your contact info.

For what it’s worth, the dot representing RSA was the closest to the upper right corner on the quadrant ;-)

https://www.rsa.com/en-us/resources/gartner-magic-quadrant-for-it-risk-management

— David

David Stack
Interim Associate VP & CIO