Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Repeated authentication attempts from same IP not same ID

From: Ben Parker <bparker () PALOALTONETWORKS COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 04:59:47 +0000

It is likely that address is already on a threat feed as an Indicator of Attack. You could run it through ISC
https://isc.sans.edu/tools/ or another tool to find some relevant threat feeds.

Import these feeds into minemeld https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/MineMeld/ct-p/MineMeld and use the output to
block on. As long as you don’t go crazy on the amount of feeds and IoCs that you are pulling even the ASA’s are capable
of being able to handle some addresses imported this way before you out scale their capabilities.

That should be a pretty quick, no cost way to clean up a lot of the garbage coming in.

Thanks,
Ben Parker
Palo Alto Networks – System Engineer
Northern Ohio
bparker () paloaltonetworks com<mailto:bparker () paloaltonetworks com>
@BenParker82

Watch<https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/technologies/automated-behavioral-analytics> our User Conference Breakout
Sessions https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEHKGmFGJrzx0uBSJtXrLi0OOYi-MMgR8
For real, there are actually some really cool presentations available here so you know you want to click the link 😉