Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Internet Copyright Infringement Complaint (ICIC) dropoff in 2017. Anyone else seeing similar results?

From: Valdis Kletnieks <valdis.kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 15:27:31 -0400

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 14:08:55 -0400, randy said:

Has anyone else seen a similar drop in their environments? I suppose one
possible theory is the abundance of music download services has increased.
Just curious about this....

I don't think there's been *that* much growth in music download services
over the past year.

Didn't one of the enforcement companies get their feet held to the fire a while
ago by some judge, who ordered them to make sure their notices were legally
compliant?  Apparently they were issuing notices with insufficient specificity,
and sometimes for material they were in fact not legally authorised to act as
an agent for the copyright holder of record.  May have had a chilling effect
on the entire market niche....