Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Notes for those attending SPC

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 20:32:59 +0000

I’m excited to have hundreds of my colleagues from across the country (and a few other countries) coming to our city
for SPC in a few weeks.  As a local who works about six blocks from the event, I figured I would follow up with a few
notes for visitors.

It’s higher altitude, so drink lots of water and be cautious with alcohol.  With the lower oxygen content in your
blood, you’ll feel the effects of alcohol with fewer drinks.

For those partaking in the legal recreational marijuana in town, keep in mind that it is not legal to smoke it on the
street and there is no smoking of any type allowed in the hotel.  Take caution if consuming edible products to pay
attention of portion sizing and that it may take 1-2 hours to kick in.  If you consume too much or consume some and
also take on a night of drinking, you will regret it.  Also, we will make fun of you the next day.

Sites: The hotel is in downtown Denver at 18th and California.  For those interested in exploring on foot, consider
these options:

·         It’s only two blocks from 16th St Mall, which is a pedestrian/bus street running through downtown with a lot
of restaurants and retail.  The shuttle bus running up and down this street is free and you can hop on at the end of
any block.

·         You’re about a half-mile walk to Civic Center Park which is surrounded by the capitol building, state
government building, city library and Denver Art Museum.

o    Denver Art Museum – it’s two buildings of very different architecture.  If you want to visit it, I have a few
guest passes.

·         It’s just a bit more than a half-mile to Coors Field, home of the Rockies, but they are out of town both
before and during the conference.

·         The Denver Mint is about a half-mile away (right next to Civic Center Park) and does tours with same-day
ticket sales only.  Apparently there aren’t tours on May 2, but there should be on the 1st and 3rd -
https://competition.usmint.gov/visiting-the-united-states-mint-in-denver-colorado/  You can also just pop into the gift
shop.  If you know someone who collects quarters, they have a change machine where you put in a dollar and get four
brand new quarters that were produced in the last couple of weeks.

Food – There are lots of restaurants within walking distance, particularly around 16th St Mall.  Some ideas:

·         The following are on the same block (16th St between Welton and Glenarm) making it a good area to swing by if
you’re looking for tables

o    Appaloosa Grill (http://appaloosagrill.com/) - Nearby on 16th St Mall – American fare with a Colorado slant – you
can pick up a Bison steak or Elk burger if you’d like.

o    Paramount Café (http://www.paramountcafe.com/) - Burger and sandwich focus

o    Marlowe’s (http://www.marlowesdenver.com/) - Steakhouse, but only open for dinner on Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon

o    Bayou Bob’s (http://www.bayoubobs.com/) - Cajun and southern

·         Guard and Grace (https://guardandgrace.com/) – High end steakhouse just across the street.  I haven’t been
there myself, but I’ve heard excellent things.  Be sure to get a reservation.

·         5280 Burger Bar (http://www.5280burgerbar.com/) - 16th and Glenarm in the Pavillions shopping center lower
floor.

·         Yard House (http://www.yardhouse.com/) - regional chain with the largest set of beer taps in the area if you
want a variety of beers with your meal.

·         Yatai sushi food cart (http://www.yataifoodcart.com/) - It’s only at lunchtime, but one of Denver’s most
popular food carts is right across the street.  The line can get 20+ people deep, but it moves quickly.

Beer lovers - Colorado is home to a great many local breweries. Many local restaurants have local beers on tap or in
bottles. Not many have their own locations downtown, so a restaurant might be best for sampling.  If you want it
direct, you can visit:

  *   Wynkoop - http://www.wynkoop.com/  - Their own beer, food, billards.  Ten blocks straight down 18th St from the
hotel.
  *   FreshCraft - https://freshcraft.com<https://freshcraft.com/>
  *   Falling Rock Tap House - http://fallingrocktaphouse.com/
  *   Yard House - http://www.yardhouse.com/

Late night fun –

  *   1up - http://www.the-1up.com<http://www.the-1up.com/> - Near Coors Field - Vintage arcade games, pinball, etc
open until 2am

Coffee – There are multiple places within two blocks if you want something special for coffee:

·         Fluid Coffee Bar – on Stout next to Magnolia hotel.  This is a true local place – their other location it
right next to our office building and is very popular with our staff.   Opens at 6:30am

·         Ink! – Colorado coffee chain at 17th and Welton. Opens at 6:30am

·         Starbucks – let’s be real, you’re downtown in a city – it’s hard to find a place to stand without a Starbucks
in sight.  There’s one across the street from the hotel.

·         Tea Cloud (http://www.theteacloud.com)<http://www.theteacloud.com/)> – a teahouse a couple of blocks away at
17th and Champa, but it opens at 9am (boo!)

Brad Judy

Information Security Officer
Office of Information Security
University of Colorado