Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Tool needed for smart devices

From: Kevin Reedy <KReedy () EXCELSIOR EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 14:43:18 +0000

We have also had devices turned in but not unlinked from iTunes.  If it is JUST a pin lock you can do a reset and you
are fine.  If the device is linked to iTunes then you either need the person to unlink it from their iTunes account, OR
you need to contact Apple.  We have had luck doing both, but it is a bit of a process.

Neither of these methods allow you to get at data on the device, for that you would need the access code from the user.

Kevin Reedy
Executive Director, Information Security
Excelsior College
(518) 464-8720