Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: For those who Splunk

From: hodgett <m.hodgett () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 13:50:01 +1000

We installed Splunk a few years ago on premise. I believe we are collecting about 200Gb/day. We did have have different SIEM before this and it wasn't keeping pace. The cost of Splunk wasn't a security decision, it was a business decision based on the data being use to monitor systems and some key services to provide service quality and some business intelligence. Security was an added benefit although shifting the cost of the old SIEM to Splunk did help.

Because of the size of our environment and the amount of data the decision to stay on-site was easy, although with current business decisions forcing cloud based installations this might change. Good design and implementation of the layout of indexes, search nodes, and forwarders is a must.

Matthew Hodgett, M.InfTech, CISSP