Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Free wifi to campus visitors????

From: Walter Reynolds <waltr () UMICH EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 10:37:06 -0500

We have actually gotten away from listing specific restriction so we can
make changes adding or removing things as needed without a bunch of hassle.

Currently we just state the following.

MGuest is a wireless network service that provides basic internet access
for university guests. Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged not to
use MGuest as their primary network, as it is not encrypted and has a
limited share of network capacity. Access to certain university resources,
including academic journals, is limited. It requires that guests agree to
the university's terms of service, and devices that cannot display a
captive portal will be unable to connect to MGuest.

As far as terms go, we have this text on the splash page and users will
just need to agree to it.

The MGuest WiFi network provides a basic free internet service.

This network does not provide encryption and is not considered secure.
Accordingly, the university does not guarantee the privacy,
confidentiality, or security of communications while using this service.
You should not use MGuest to send or receive sensitive information. Certain
U-M resources, such as library journals, are not accessible from this
network.

In addition, it is allotted a limited share of network resources and is
available on an ‘as available’ basis; the university does not guarantee
uninterrupted or error-free service.

The guest network is not intended for use by University faculty, staff, or
students when engaging in university-related academic or business
activities. For U-M students, faculty, staff, sponsored guests, and users
from participating educational institutions, MWireless and eduroam deliver
better performance, allow mobile devices to stay connected, provide
security and encryption, and allow access to all U-M resources.

By using this resource, you agree to comply with all relevant University
policies, and state and federal laws. Misuse of the network for illegal or
inappropriate activities may result in disciplinary or legal action. The
university is not responsible for data or content accessed or received via
the MGuest network, and is not liable for any injury or loss that results
from use of the the service.

Offhand I do not have a list of ports allowed, but looks very similar to
Northwestern.

This network does connect to its own IP address block that is tunneled out
of our network.

Walter Reynolds
Principal Systems Security Development Engineer
Information and Technology Services
University of Michigan
(734) 615-9438

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Shen, Philip *HS <