Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Security Product That Supports Customer Entry of Malicious Messages

From: "Flynn, Gary - flynngn" <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 20:39:24 +0000

Proofpoint and similar solutions rewrite the URLs in email messages before
delivering them to user mailboxes. The rewritten URLs point to the email
security device. When a user clicks the URL, they are taken to the email
security device.

.         If the email security device has determined that the message or
link is malicious, the user is shown a warning message and blocked from
reaching the original URL destination. Happiness. Go fight some other fire.

.         If the email security device is not aware of maliciousness, the
user is redirected to the original destination.

.         If the email security device later finds out the message or link
is malicious, it makes available the identity of people who clicked it
before it was blocked.

Such products are able to tell you:

1.       Who clicked a malicious link before it was determined to be
malicious. Those users are at risk because they visited a known malicious
site. They may have entered credentials into a phishing site or had
unpatched software exploited. So even if the message was not immediately
blocked, you have some information to help assess risk and aid incident
response.

2.       Who clicked a malicious link after it was determined to be
malicious. Those users are blocked from the malicious site. Happiness.
Though if you have a large number of people clicking malicious links, you
may want to review security awareness programs and backup security controls.

The problem comes when the device does not detect a message as malicious
ever or too late to do any damage control. Then there are no statistics on
who clicked the malicious link and no protection from it.

Proofpoint detects a high percentage of malicious messages. But just like
other anti-spam, anti-virus, and other blacklist security control, it is not
perfect and some always get through. Not very often in Proofpoint's case but
often enough that it would be valuable to have the capability to tell the
appliance, "Here, don't wait for your algorithms or cloud analysis to tell
you this is bad, I'm telling you it is bad and I want it blocked and audited
locally RIGHT NOW! ". It was that feature I was asking about to see if it is
included in any other URL rewrite type email security products. I know Cisco
Ironport and Microsoft ATP both have rewrite capabilities, there are
probably others. I don't know if any of them support that feature.

Gary Flynn

JMU IT Security

James Madison University

My brain can handle preemptive and cooperative multitasking pretty well.
Parallel processing, not so much.