Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Isolation of Admin Activities: Endpoints + Jump Servers Ideas?

From: James Webb <webbjt () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 12:22:29 -0500

Hi all,

We are looking at ways we can achieve greater monitoring, assurance, and
isolation of admin activities for privileged access to our High Impact
Services.

In particular,I'm  interested in looking at a potential trusted endpoints
model maybe  tied to jump servers (or VPN).

By doing an "environmental survey" ("site:.edu Google searches for the
win!"), I came across Stanford's PAWS program which looks really
interesting:  (required bastion endpoint for high impact services..tied to
Min Sec. Standards).: https://uit.stanford.edu/service/paw

I haven't seen too many other resources however (at least forward-facing)
about how other may be approaching.

If anyone has done some work in this areas, I'd really value to learn more
about your experience and ideas.

*Some investigation points we are looking at:*

   - Sec Build / Engineering Approach  (Maybe sensitive to share details
   but high level what core components - patch, fde, vm, whitelist, hardening
   standard?)
   - Authentication Model for Endpoint Access
   - Supported Platforms For Bastion Endpoints (Win, Mac, Linux?)
   - VDI, Hardware-based, both?
   - Connected to Use of Jump Servers or VPN? (High Instrumentation /
   Modeling)
   - Policy + Culture: Modeling Change To Sysadmin Community, Changes
   Driven By Sec Incident/Proactive?

Thanks for any ideas or info!

All The Best,

-Jim

James Webb CISSP,CISM,CEH,ITILV3F Chief Information Security Officer
Appalachian State University ITS - Office of Information Security phone:
828-262-6277 fax: 828-262-2236 web: http://security.appstate.edu twitter:
@appinfosec