Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC December Update: New Resources & List Reminders

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 17:10:52 +0000

Greetings,

As we near the end of the year, we’d like to provide a few final highlights of HEISC volunteer activities in 2016. This
message also offers some friendly reminders about participating on the Security Discussion list.

And don’t forget to save the date for the next EDUCAUSE Live! webinar on big data and privacy with Cindy
Compert<https://securityintelligence.com/author/cindy-compert/> (IBM) on Thursday, January 26, 1-2 pm EST. Additional
details will be posted soon at www.educause.edu/dpd<http://www.educause.edu/dpd>.

New & Updated HEISC Resources

  *   12 guest blogs with ready-made, customizable content are now available as part of our annual Campus Security
Awareness Campaign! Learn more: www.educause.edu/securityawareness<http://www.educause.edu/securityawareness>.
  *   The new Information Security Guide chapter on Career and Workforce
Development<https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/2014infosecurityguide/Career+and+Workforce+Development> includes
several job description templates in case you’re hiring. We have templates for a CISO, security awareness coordinator,
and infosec intern. More templates will be published in early 2017!
  *   View resources from the November 9 IAM Online webinar about the Motivations and Policy Challenges of Multifactor
Deployment<https://www.incommon.org/iamonline/> (slides and recording).
  *   View resources from the December 6 EDUCAUSE webinar on Learning Data Privacy Principles and Recommended
Practices<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/12/learning-data-privacy-principles-and-recommended-practices-webinar>
 (recording, chat transcript, and slides).
  *   In the latest EDUCAUSE
Review<http://er.educause.edu/multimedia/2016/12/video--4-it-leaders-debate-security---part-3>
video<http://er.educause.edu/multimedia/2016/12/video--4-it-leaders-debate-security---part-3> (part 3 in a series), 4
higher ed IT leaders continue to debate Information Security’s top spot placement in the 2016 Top 10 IT Issues list.
  *   The HEISC
Charter<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/12/higher-education-information-security-council-charter> has been
updated for 2017. You can find out more about our strategic priorities and major areas of focus, as well as the working
groups at: www.educause.edu/heisc<http://www.educause.edu/heisc>.

Security Professionals Conference (May 1-3, 2017 in Denver, CO)

  *   The Security 2017<http://www.educause.edu/sec17> committee is working hard to finalize the program. Speakers will
be notified by the end of December.

Security Discussion Group<https://www.educause.edu/discuss/security-discussion-group> Participation Reminders!

  *   This list is public; anyone is welcome to subscribe.
  *   Archives are publicly available and searchable.
  *   Posts to this list may be aggregated by other sites such as http://seclists.org/.
  *   Replies will automatically go to the entire list. If you intend to respond directly to an individual on the list,
please be sure to check the “To:” line before sending your message.
  *   For more sensitive questions or sharing of information, consider using the REN-ISAC<http://www.ren-isac.net/>
list if you are a member.

Stay Informed

  *   Twitter<https://twitter.com/HEISCouncil>
  *   Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/HEISCouncil/>
  *   Pinterest<https://www.pinterest.com/heiscouncil/>
  *   Security Matters blog column<http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters> in EDUCAUSE Review

Questions or comments? Need resources on a specific topic? Please e-mail us at security-council () educause
edu<mailto:security-council () educause edu>

Happy holidays!
Valerie

Valerie Vogel Program Manager, Cybersecurity

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
direct: 202.331.5374 | main: 202.872.4200 | twitter: @HEISCouncil | educause.edu<http://www.educause.edu/>