Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Network connections

From: "Ferguson, Michael" <mferguson () CHAPMAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:51:35 +0000

Frank,

Our experience, particularly this year, is that we’re right at roughly 1 gpps of Internet use per kilo-head in our
residential complex.  However, when students are on campus, whether in class or at the library, I’d say our Internet
use is roughly 350 mbps per kilo-head because students aren’t doing as intensive network use like watching Netflix when
on campus compared to when they’re in their dorm room.

We provide a full complement of security filtering for our end-users—IPS, URL filtering (primarily for malware), App
Control (primarily for Botnet Protection) and A/V scanning.   Needless to say, we had to appropriately size our
next-gen firewalls with all these features “turned-on.”

However, we couldn’t really drop our residential complex from our Campus Internet connection and significantly reduce
the size of security devices managing our network.  We have 2 peaks of Internet use, one is late afternoon and the
other is late evening.  The first peak is due primarily to Internet use from on campus, whether faculty or staff
working or students using wireless on campus during late afternoon.  The amount of traffic from the Reshalls during
this time is relatively modest.  However, at nighttime during our second peak, almost all of our Internet use is from
the Reshalls.

The peaks at each time are roughly the same amount of bandwidth use.  So if we dropped our Reshalls from the campus
Internet, we would really only reduce our bandwidth use at night, but not during the late afternoon.

--
Mike Ferguson
Chapman University