Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Privileged Account Management

From: Eric Lukens <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:04:45 -0600

We have deployed LAPS to a majority of our Windows computers. Once you get
the schema and the permissions done, the rest is fairly easy. We went so
far as to put a LAPS group policy object at the root of the domain. So the
only action the techs needed to use the tool was to install the client.
Depending on how the various techs used the local admin account will
dictate how much of a change it is for them. Some of our techs always had
the local admin account disabled, so they didn't notice. It had the
side-effect of rooting out some bad practices.

I wrote up various guides for our techs to use LAPS. The guides don't cover
the initial schema or permissions changes, just the day-to-day installation
of the client and use of the tool. I've redacted the possibly sensitive
bits. They can be found on my Google Drive at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_Rq55JJ90lhTU5sUzAwdVU4VVE?usp=sharing

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Eric

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Velislav K Pavlov <