Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password management tools

From: Rich Graves <rgraves () CARLETON EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 11:25:53 -0500

I use both KeePass and LastPass, and we use LastPass Enterprise in IT.

For non-IT staff I am endorsing LastPass but mostly recommending that
they encrypt their exiting Microsoft Office and Google Docs password
lists with Office encryption and CloudLock, respectively.

Yes, really. It's just as secure against reasonably foreseeable
threats, teaches a transferrable skill, and is simpler for the mass
audience to adopt. For many business offices the layered-security
benefits of password-encrypted documents on the department file share
are real. Maybe they don't want their passwords on BYODs or in the
cloud.