Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Guidelines

From: Rob Milman <rob.milman () SAIT CA>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 15:52:25 -0600

Hi Frank,

I found that our existing password policies are pretty robust, however I hadn’t considered using a password blacklist
as suggested in the draft. Is anyone using a password blacklist to prevent users from using a compromised password? I
know I’ve run into this on some websites, but not in an enterprise level authentication system.

Rob Milman

[cid:image001.gif@01D1FD56.5815E620]

Rob Milman
Security & Compliance Analyst
Information Systems

Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
EH Crandell Building, GA 214
1301 – 16 Avenue NW, Calgary AB, T2M 0L4

(Office) 403.774.5401  (Cell) 403.606.3173
rob.milman () sait ca<mailto:rob.milman () sait ca>