Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bit9 and getting rid of anti-virus tool

From: Eric Lukens <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 09:08:17 -0500

A few years ago we determined traditional AV wasn't doing us any good and
switched to Microsoft's solution since we were already licensed for it.
Some AV products claim to include "better" firewalls and
application-whitelisting capabilities, but with the Enterprise editions of
Windows 7 and above (plus Education on Windows 10) you get AppLocker, which
isn't as nice as Bit 9 but we've done surprisingly well with it.
Otherwise, to me it seems most AV product's attempts to stay relevant are
just replications of what is actually available in the operating system or
from Microsoft--such as the EMET. Even worse, sometimes the AV software
doesn't really have these features and is just managing the official
Windows settings for you.

If you are able to afford Bit 9, I'd say use it and downgrade to
Microsoft's AV since you probably are already licensed for it. Our old AV
product created a lot of issues on the computers, especially if it was time
to upgrade. While Microsoft's AV solution is not as good at detection as
other AV software, it is much less burdensome on our computers--using less
resources and installing updates easily without constant care and feeding.
Plus WSUS or SCCM or Windows Update can update the Microsoft AV, so there's
easy ways to keep it up-to-date. The only place the Microsoft AV is
somewhat annoying is on centralized reporting, which is required by some
security standards. SCCM is required for centralized reporting, unless you
use something to watch the logs on the machines for alerts.

EMET: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/jj653751